18mm Solid Wood Flooring
18mm solid hardwood flooring is a very popular type of flooring. Each plank of flooring is constructed from one solid piece of hardwood, which is then milled and sanded into the shape of a flooring plank, usually with a tongue and groove fitting profile.
Within this range of flooring you have the choice of species of wood (ranging from pale Oak to dark Walnut). The species of wood determines the colour, pattern and grain of the flooring, which is visible once it has been installed. You also have a choice of different surface textures and finishes, and a variety of plank widths and lengths. With all of this choice, you are sure to find something to meet your requirements.
Solid wood flooring that is 18mm thick, means exactly that; the total thickness of the plank of flooring will be 18mm and made from one solid piece of hardwood.
Why should I choose 18mm thick solid wood flooring?
18mm solid hardwood flooring is a great choice for any home. It exudes character and luxury and can be installed in most areas of a home (expect those with excess water, like bathrooms). For more information about solid wood flooring, please read: A Guide to Solid Wood Flooring, which explains how it is made, how it can be used and the benefits it has.
18mm solid hardwood flooring is ideal if you are going to install directly over joists. The thickness of this flooring means that it has correct load bearing properties to withstand the extra pressure and weight that comes with being laid on the top of joists.
All types of solid wood flooring, regardless of the thickness, need to be fixed into position during installation. This can be done by either gluing it down to the subfloor using a flexible flooring adhesive, or using secret nails or screws to secure it into place. The method that you choose usually depends upon the type of subfloor that you have in your property. To find out more about installing your flooring, have a look at our Installation and Fitting Guide.
How do I maintain 18mm solid hardwood flooring?
Looking after your 18mm solid wood flooring could not be easier. To start with you will want to take steps to prevent any damage, dents or scratches from happening to your new floor. You can do this in a number of ways, including: removing wet or dirty footwear before walking on your floor, and wiping away any spills immediately so that they cannot soak into your floor. For more tips like this, read our article: How to Prevent Scratches on Hardwood Floors.
Alongside protecting your solid wood floor from damage, you will also want to keep it looking at its best. A routine of regular sweeping with a soft brush and cleaning with a wooden floor cleaning solution will help to keep you floor looking shiny and new. You may find the following article interesting: What is the Best Way to Clean My Hardwood Floor?
Are there any alternatives available?
Yes, we have a range of both solid wood flooring and engineered hardwood floors in a variety of different thicknesses.
Here are some links to other thicknesses of hardwood flooring:
Further help and advice
If you have any questions about any of our floors or flooring products then please don’t hesitate to contact us or come into our showroom where we have all of our floors on display. If you would like to have a closer look at any of the particular floors that you are interested in you can order free samples today.
- 130mm UV Lacquered Solid Rustic Oak 18mm Wood Flooring 2.184m²From £50.79m² Inc. VATRandom130 mm18 mm2.18 ㎡
- 130mm Brushed & UV Oiled Solid Oak 18mm Wood Flooring 2.184m²From £53.15m² Inc. VATRandom130 mm18 mm2.18 ㎡
- 203mm Handscraped & Lacquered Finger Joint Java Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.786m²From £55.50m² Inc. VAT2200 mm203 mm18 mm1.79 ㎡
- 203mm Handscraped & Lacquered Finger Joint Nutmeg Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.786m²From £55.50m² Inc. VAT2200 mm203 mm18 mm1.79 ㎡
- 130mm Lacquered Solid Distressed Golden Oak 18mm Wood Flooring 2.184m²From £55.71m² Inc. VATRandom130 mm18 mm2.18 ㎡
- 125mm Lacquered Antique Square Peg Solid Oak Wood Flooring 2.20m²From £65.70m² Inc. VATRandom125 mm18 mm2.20 ㎡
- 150mm Lacquered Antique Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.98m²From £66.72m² Inc. VATRandom150 mm18 mm1.98 ㎡
- 125mm Lacquered Antique Solid Oak Wood Flooring 2.20m²From £66.72m² Inc. VATRandom125 mm18 mm2.20 ㎡
- 150mm Matt Lacquered Natural Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.98m²From £68.76m² Inc. VATRandom150 mm18 mm1.98 ㎡
- 150mm Natural Brushed & UV Oiled Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.98m²From £69.78m² Inc. VATRandom150 mm18 mm1.98 ㎡
- 150mm Lacquered Wheat Solid Oak Wood Flooring 1.98m²From £69.78m² Inc. VATRandom150 mm18 mm1.98 ㎡