20mm Engineered Wood Flooring
20mm engineered hardwood is available in different species of hardwood, a variety of board widths and lengths and a range of different surface textures and finishes. All of this choice makes it a very popular type of flooring.
It is made from a solid hardwood top layer (sometimes known as a wear layer) in your choice of wood species, followed by multiple core and base layers made from other types of wood. The core layers and base layers have been bonded together with adhesive under high pressure, and each layer is in a different direction from the next, which helps to give the planks of flooring dimensional stability and greater strength.
The only part of the 20mm engineered wood flooring that you will see once it has been fitted into your property is the top layer of hardwood. This wear layer is usually between 4mm and 6mm in thickness. For example, if the wear layer was 5mm thick, the remaining 15mm would be made up of the core and base layers.
Why should I choose 20mm thick engineered flooring?
20mm engineered hardwood flooring is a fantastic option for almost any room or open space. It has the luxury of a real, natural hardwood on the surface, but then the amazing benefits of strength, stability and versatility from being an engineered floor.
With this particular type of flooring you still have the ability to sand it down and refinish it in years to come if it becomes looking tired and worn. Generally with a wear layer of 5mm you will be able to sand it a couple of times. If it is looked after properly, this type of flooring can last a lifetime.
20mm engineered hardwood flooring is perfect if you are installing your floor over joists. In order to do this you must have a hardwood floor that is at least 18mm thick to ensure it can take the weight and pressure that comes with being fitted over joists.
This specific thickness of engineered wood flooring is only available with the more traditional tongue and groove fitting system. It can still be loose laid over an underlay by applying WPVA glue to the tongue and groove joints to provide a snug and secure fit. Otherwise, it can be fixed directly to your subfloor with either flexible flooring adhesive or secret nails. Have a look at our Installation and Fitting Guide to find out more about the best way to fit your floor.
How do I maintain 20mm engineered hardwood flooring?
20mm engineered hardwood floors can last a lifetime if they are looked after and cared for correctly. By adopting a simple and regular cleaning routine you will keep your floor looking shiny and new. You should also take a few steps to prevent any unwanted scratches and dents. To find out more about looking after your floor once it has been installed, take a look at our Wood Floor Care and Maintenance Guide.
Are there any alternatives available?
We have a huge variety of engineered wooden floors in a number of different thicknesses.
Here are some links to other thicknesses of engineered wood flooring:
Further help and advice
For further help and advice please don’t hesitate to contact us or come along to our showroom where our technically trained staff will be happy to answer any questions that you may have. Alternatively, you can order free samples of our flooring if you want to look at the products in more detail in the comfort of your own home.
Items 1-12 of 23
- 189mm UV Oiled Engineered Rusty Oak 20mm Wood Flooring 2.11m²From £58.93m² Inc. VAT1860 mm189 mm20 mm2.11 ㎡
- 189mm Lacquered Engineered Rustic Oak 20mm Wood Flooring 2.11m²From £59.31m² Inc. VAT1860 mm189 mm20 mm2.11 ㎡
- 189mm Rustic Brushed & Oiled Engineered Oak 20mm Wood Flooring 2.11m²From £60.89m² Inc. VAT1860 mm189 mm20 mm2.11 ㎡
- 190mm Engineered Rustic Brushed and Oiled Oak Wood Flooring 2.09m²From £61.62m² Inc. VATRandom190 mm20 mm2.09 ㎡
- 190mm Engineered Brushed & Matt Lacquered Wood Flooring 1.444m²From £63.54m² Inc. VAT1900 mm190 mm20 mm1.44 ㎡
- 300mm Engineered Natural Oiled Wide Plank Oak Wood Flooring 2.64m²From £66.60m² Inc. VAT2200 mm300 mm18 mm2.64 ㎡
- 190mm Engineered Brushed and UV Oiled Light Smoked Oak Wood Flooring 2.09m²From £66.72m² Inc. VATRandom190 mm20 mm2.09 ㎡
- 190mm Engineered Lacquered Rustic Oak Wood Flooring 1.81m²From £69.78m² Inc. VAT1900 mm190 mm20 mm1.81 ㎡
- 190mm Engineered Natural UV Oiled Oak Wood Flooring 2.17m²From £70.80m² Inc. VAT1900 mm190 mm20 mm2.17 ㎡
- 100mm Herringbone Lacquered Engineered Oak Parquet Wood Flooring 0.5m²From £70.80m² Inc. VAT500 mm100 mm20 mm0.50 ㎡
- 100mm Herringbone UV Oiled Engineered Cool White Oak Parquet Wood Flooring 0.5m²From £70.80m² Inc. VAT500 mm100 mm20 mm0.50 ㎡
- 100mm Herringbone Engineered Black UV Oiled Oak Parquet Wood Flooring 0.5m²From £72.84m² Inc. VAT500 mm100 mm20 mm0.50 ㎡
Items 1-12 of 23