Solid wood flooring is a widely desired and sought after luxurious type of flooring. It is flooring which has been made from one solid piece of wood, which has been cut and machined into a plank. It is available in a range of different wood species, which can vary considerably in colours, grain, pattern, strength and cost.
Solid hardwood flooring is the most traditional and timeless type of wooden flooring and has the following benefits:
- The planks of flooring are made from one solid piece of hardwood, ensuring that you are walking on a completely natural product.
- As it is a piece of solid wood, it can be sanded and re-finished a number of times if and when required or desired.
- Solid wood flooring has a long life expectancy and offers a timeless and elegant appeal.
- It is available in a wide variety of species of wood, which range from light to dark and have different patterns and grains.
- It can be found in random lengths and different widths so that you can choose something to suit your surroundings.
- It usually has a tongue and groove fitting system, which is the most traditional and well established method of fitting wooden floors.
- Solid wood flooring can be found in either unfinished or pre-finished planks, making it easy to find something to suit your desires.
For further information about solid wood flooring, see our articles on: ‘What is the difference between solid wood and engineered wood flooring’ and ‘Guide to solid wood flooring’.